ABEM MOC Assessment of Practice Performance (APP)
The Assessment of Practice Performance (APP) requirement focuses on practice-based learning and improvement, particularly in the areas of patient care, interpersonal and communication skills, and professionalism.
Clinically Active Diplomates
- Participate in acceptable Patient Care Practice Improvement (PI) activities at a local, regional, or national level
- Participate in a Communication / Professionalism (CP) feedback program
Clinically Inactive Diplomates
- Must inform ABEM that they are no longer clinically active
- Can maintain ABEM certification without participating in APP
- Are reported as clinically inactive to the public
Key Features of Assessment of Practice Performance
- ABEM certified physicians begin, complete, and attest to Patient Care Practice Improvement (PI) and Communication / Professionalism (CP) activities once during the first five years and once during the second five years of each ten-year certification period.
- Diplomates can check their specific requirements and deadlines and attest to completion of APP activities on their ABEM MOC Personal Page.
- APP activities must follow specific steps and typically must include the physician’s own patients.
- For the PI activity, diplomates can choose improvement efforts from core measures, PQRS measures, ABEM-affirmed PI activities, cross-functional or EM –specific projects sponsored by the institution in which they work, or improvements that address other clinical issues.
- ABEM pre-approval of the activity is not required, nor do diplomates submit data to ABEM.
- Diplomates can participate in group APP activities provided that their own patients are included.
- There is no ABEM fee for participation in APP.
Patient Care Practice Improvement (PI) Activity
Communication / Professionalism (CP) Activity