Nominations are currently being accepted for two director positions on the ABEM Board of Directors. One position will be elected from a slate of nominees provided by the Society of Academic Emergency Physicians (SAEM) and the second position is an at-large position. Emergency Medicine (EM) organizations and the EM community-at-large are encouraged to submit nominees for the at-large position.
To submit a nomination to ABEM, please send the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed Nomination Form
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (from someone other than the nominee, no more than two)
- Letter of Willingness to Serve (from Nominee)
ABEM is not a membership organization and new directors are elected by the current Board of Directors. Directors serve four-year terms and are eligible to serve up to two consecutive terms. The directors participate on ABEM committees and task forces convened to continually review and maintain high standards in the specialty of Emergency Medicine. Directors are ABEM-certified and may serve as examiners involved with the certification exams. Directors also serve by representing ABEM to other organizations.
In selecting new directors, the Board considers, in part, the nominees' interests and skills in the context of the projected turnover in leadership positions. The Board seeks individuals who are demonstrated positive leaders and who possess the more specific knowledge and skills needed for the leadership roles on the Board. This includes experience and demonstrated interests and skills with the examinations, a strong belief in the value of the specialty and ABEM Maintenance of Certification (ABEM MOC), and the desire to follow the history and experience of the Board. It is equally important that these individuals bring demonstrated ability to clarify core issues and ideas, bring consensus to a group, work with outside organizations, and embrace the broad vision and mission of the Board.
The Board has established the following criteria for at-large director position nominees and for nominees submitted by its sponsoring societies, that is the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), the American Medical Association (AMA), and the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM).
Nominees for director positions must:
- Be a graduate of an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited Emergency Medicine residency program.
- Be an ABEM diplomate for ten or more years.
- Have demonstrated extensive active involvement in organized Emergency Medicine. Ideally, this will include long-term experience as an ABEM item writer, oral examiner, or ABEM-appointed representative.
- Be actively involved in the clinical practice of Emergency Medicine.
- Be actively participating in the ABEM Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program.
In years when the Board elects new directors from the Emergency Medicine community-at-large, a wide net is cast to obtain nominations from all areas of the specialty. A notice is posted on the ABEM website and in publications that the Board seeks nominees. The notices provide instructions for submitting nominations to the Board.
For more information about new director elections, please contact Kelly R. Johnston at email@example.com, or 517-332-4800, ext. 346.