Information for Oral Examination Candidates
The mission of the American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) is to ensure the highest standards in the specialty of Emergency Medicine. As a candidate for certification, ABEM congratulates you on your commitment to high standards for our specialty.
The materials provided are intended to give you the logistical and procedural information you need to be sure that you can best display your knowledge of Emergency Medicine on the day of your Oral Certification Examination. This is best accomplished by completing the following steps:
- Know your Rights and Responsibilities as an ABEM Candidate for Certification.
- Familiarize Yourself with the Oral Examination process and materials to ensure there are no surprises.
- Complete the Pre-Examination Checklist well in advance of your examination day.
- Complete the Examination Day Checklist before you attend registration.
- Scoring the Oral Examination
Using this Online Resource
This information for Oral Examination candidates is intended for online reading, making liberal use of hyperlinks to provide additional information. If needed, you may print individual pages for reference. Alternately, a printed paper copy is available upon request from the ABEM office. The policy documents are available as PDF documents, under the Policy Index in the left-hand navigation bar.
These materials will provide you with the information you need to prepare for, attend, and take the Oral Certification Examination.